We’ve got loads of great news to share with you this month, so let’s get straight into it…
Northern Gateway Sports Park
The Colchester Northern Gateway Sports Park is opening to the public from Monday 26th April!
The new facility features both indoor and outdoor sports and leisure facilities including plenty of cycling for racers, people learning to ride, those wanting to keep fit and a chance to hire top quality bikes for some leisure riding too.
- Painted learn to ride area with sessions run by British Cycling’s Learn to Ride for adults and children
- 1.6km (1 mile) cycle racing track that can be split up into shorter segments
- Pump track
- Youth coaching sessions
- Bike hire: 96 bikes available to hire from quality brands (Trek, Specialized, Frog) including all types eg Mountain bikes, hybrids, road bikes, kids bikes, balance bikes, tandems, hand cycles and trikes. These are for hire on the track but also for recreational use too.
- Enormous indoor facility including multi use sports hall, gym, and high spec cycle fitness studio equipped with wattbikes and skillbikes.
- Plenty of outdoor covered cycle parking
- Café run by Ipswich based Paddy & Scott, with a full range of refreshments including vegan, vegetarian and gluten free options, all locally sourced.
- Toilets and changing facilities are up to the very highest accessibility standards so this is a place for everyone to enjoy
Bikeability Trust have release a new course called Bikeability Family, this course provides a tailored training package to help people living in the same household cycle together. This course is free and is delivered over 2 sessions totalling 3 hours. It begins with an assessment of each households’ specific cycling goals and current cycling ability (carried out by an the provider/instructor and using the online form), accompanied by online preparation, including route planning before off-road cycle training commences.
This is followed by on-road cycle training and may be further supplemented by post-training self-assessment and mentoring.
Riders must be able to cycle (i.e. Set off, pedal, slow down and stop) prior to training.
Wivenhoe Bike Kitchen
During April and May, Wivenhoe Bike Kitchen is offering free comprehensive safety checks, (includes minor adjustments). It’s first come, first served – drop your bike off between 1.45pm and 2pm on a Sunday and collect at 4pm.
Plus, for cycle commuting key workers or anyone on benefits, we can offer a free full bike service – to arrange, please email email@example.com with your name and a phone number so we can book you in.
Colchester Bike Kitchen
Colchester Bike Kitchen have now reopened for regular DIY drop-in sessions every Wednesday 6:30-8:30pm and the first and third Saturday each month 1-4pm. With no appointment necessary, you can pop into the workshop and use their tools and expertise to maintain your bike under the supervision of qualified mechanics.
See more details including their covid requirements for visitors at the CBK website
Job: Cycling UK Development Officer, Colchester
Cycling UK are recruiting a Cycling Development officer for Essex. This full time post (37.5h) is home based and is a fixed term contract until March 2022, the option to extend subject to funding.
They are looking for a highly self-motivated individual to develop the Big Bike Revival programme and engage with local community cycling clubs.
Explore the job description and find out more at the Cycling Uk website
Job: Wheels for All Coordinator, Colchester
Wheels for All and Cycling Projects are recruiting a Wheels for All coordinator for Colchester to help them create cycling opportunities for disabled people and those leading inactive lifestyles. The successful candidate will be responsible for the creation of an effective inclusive cycling offer for communities in Colchester, working with partners and support networks to create a sustainable cycling package that will become an asset for the communities of Colchester.
The role is 21 hours a week from May 2021 to April 2023, with a salary of £22,295 pro rata
Closing date for applications is Monday 10th May